"We're all
mad
here.
I'm mad.
You're
m a d."

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

F A T CELLS


I am horrified.

Today in psychology, we started the motivation chapter and talked about what motivates us to eat.
Well, while talking about the biological/genetics behind it, my teacher said that every person is born with a certain number of fat cells. And when you can NEVER lose them. If you're born with 1,000,000 fat cells, when you die, you'll still have 1,000,000 fat cells. A normal person has about 30 billion fat cells to store energy in [wow, that's aLOT!]. When you lose weight, you're simply SHRINKING the size of the fat cells, you don't get rid of them.

Huh. I always thought that when you lose weight, you eliminate fat cells... common misconception, I guess. And it's way easier to gain weight than lose weight, of course.

"When you eat alot, your fat cell may expand and split into TWO! Now you're stuck with one more fat cell for the rest of your life."

Oh MY.
Isn't that disturbing?
I found it so sad that I didn't even eat lunch.
Thinking about those multiplying fat cells inside my body...
[but don't worry, I went home and ate some apples and yoghurt]

So now you know the truth about fat cells.
That was super-educational, wasn't it?
:]



2 comments:

  1. incorrect, or at least for the latter half--the number doesn't change at all, even IF you eat a lot.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/health/research/05fat.html

    and you CAN kill them--though perhaps they'll regrow in time as well.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/red-wine-may-curb-fat-cells/
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5620308_kill-fat-cells.html

    but that can be fixed as well...
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,994263,00.html

    but i don't see why you should worry about any of this--you're not even fat :P
    (ah, darn, i hate how you can't post anonymously once you get an account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, thanks for educating me even more! By contradicting everything... Oh no it's Newspeak! Twisting the truth...! Aha.

    And you support your view with evidence too. See, you should be in debate :p

    Oh, I just thought it was interesting and contrasted with my previous views... life-changing? Aha, no. That's "Supersize Me."

    And I think you can. You don't log in or something? Idk... I've done it before!

    ReplyDelete