"We're all
mad
here.
I'm mad.
You're
m a d."

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

All kinds of wonderful things



My first attempt to make donuts!
Which kinda turned out like bagels, since we didn't have a deep fryer [we baked them!].
Covered in strawberry frosting and rainbow nonpareils, they look perfectly delicious though :)





My mum made sushi. It looks quite good, doesn't it?



An Alice- in-Wonderland-inspired gift for my best friend's birthday. Inside is a scroll with her poem printed on it.


Wonderland

See the lines blur, the colors pale
And the towns fade away.
Let us go, escape the noise of the city.

Forget what you know,
What you are used to,
What you are comfortable with.
Yes, leave it all behind,
They are not part of you.

We would run into the woods,
Covering our bodies with morning dew
Filling our noses with fragrance
Flooding our eyes with misty green.

Down the rabbit hole we shall fall, fall, fall,
With no purpose but to fly,
Slowly but surely,
Into the unknown.

At the same time, we shall learn to let go:
Our memories, our pains, our fears.
And realize, once and for all,
Who we are without the backdrop,
And what we are when owning nothing but
A dream in our heads.


Joie Zhang © 2009



"Drink Me."
I should've put "Read Me," but then it wouldn't have made sense to put it in a bottle... aha.
I love message in a bottle type of things. Floating out to sea...



That's actually silver friendship bracelet string!



A cute comic from the Saturday morning newspaper.
I suppose this is more appropriate for Valentine's, so consider it belated!
"Maybe everything we've ever done has been for love."

"Don't you have the feeling," asked Madame Bovary, "that something happens to free your spirit in the presence of all that vastness? It raises up my soul to look at it, somehow. It makes me think of the infinite, and all kinds of wonderful things." ~p. 97

"Have you ever had the experience," Léon went on, "of running across in a book some vague idea you've had, some image that you realise has been lurking all the time in the back of your mind and now seems to express absolutely your most subtle feelings?" ~p. 99

Gustave Flaubert is a great, very descriptive writer... he goes into so much detail about the places that I can picture it extremely vividly. In that sense, he almost reminds me of Oscar Wilde [in "The Picture of Dorian Gray," at least!]. I think there's a movie version of Madame Bovary... Not sure if I want to see it, but I guess I should finish the book first. My friend already spoiled the ending and says Emma is a terrible heroine, but... we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment